From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-16 08:14:10

At 05:09 AM 7/16/2002, Russell Hind wrote:

>Is boost going to start treading on the toes of ACE with these
libraries?
>I don't mind, its always nice to have a choice, but ACE already provides
>these libraries, and most of the other boost libraries seem very
different
>to what ACE provides so why not stay that way? I'm quite happy to use
both
>libraries in our projects.

Those are worthwhile questions.

When a new library first comes up for discussion on Boost, it is very
helpful if someone says "such-and-such an existing library already does a
good job with that" or maybe "such-and-such an existing library already
does that, but has the follow problems...".

My sense with ACE is that while Boost developers know it exists, they
usually aren't regular ACE users, and so have trouble judging the pros and
cons.

Have you used the ACE sockets and related facilities in real code? What
was your experience?

Does the ACE TCP/IP stuff mix well with other libraries?

Are there a lot of dependencies between the ACE TCP/IP stuff and other ACE
code?

--Beman