From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-16 20:27:32

"J.Flenter" <yg-boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to compile boost with gcc (the version currently distributed
with
> cygwin: 2.95.3-5 and not the pre-release version 3.1.1) but when I run
bjam
> with either -sTOOLS=gcc-stlport or sTOOLS=gcc I get an error:
>
> gcc-Link-action actions too long (max 1023):

<snip>

> Am I doing something wrong?

No. The problem is a Win95/g++/bjam limitation. However, using the current
CVS state may fix it. Have you tried checking out the latest?

> Some may have noticed that I have already posted something on this
> newsgroup, for which I already had a working version of boost, that's
true.
> Unfortunately I ran in some problems using inherited classes and I found
on
> the internet some bug reports on the Visual Studio 6.0 and the error:
error
> C2275: 'referenceCounter' : illegal use of this type as an expression,
this
> happens at the line
>
> linkedList_class.declare_base(referenceCounter);
>
> That is the reason why I switched to GCC. However, any help would be
> appreciated.

I know you've already gone a long way by switching compilers, but I guess
that if you still have trouble you might try upgrading to an OS with a
reasonable command-shell (e.g. Win2K). That will drastically improve the
line-length limitation issue.

-Dave