From: John Maddock (john_maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-17 06:14:56

> I believe I've successfully created release builds now (runtime-link-
> dynamic only still). In an stlport file, stlport/using/cstring,
> the "using" statements for strcpy and strcmp are surrounded by #if !
> defined(strcpy/strcmp) macros. For whatever reason, in the debug
> build, these strcpy/strcmp are not #defined, so the using brings them
> into scope, and regex builds; but in release mode, they are #defined,
> so the using statements aren't part of the compile, causing the
> compile time errors in regex.
>
> My hack to fix this was to put:
>
> # if defined (__BORLANDC__) && defined(strcmp)
> # undef strcmp
> #endif
>
> just before the #if !defined(strcpy/strcmp) lines. Unfortunately, I
> haven't had much luck figuring out how bjam's magic works; so I can't
> yet tell why this behaves the way it does w/ regex to see if I can
> define a macro or some such at build time to correct it rather than
> hacking the STLPort sources.

OK, I've patched boost's config again to work around this (updated file
attached).

> > I attempted to do a build of regex using "make -f bcb5.mak", but it
> > stopped immediately in c_regex_traits.cpp w/ errors from Borland's
> > <ctype.h> file saying things like "_chartype", "_lower", "isascii",
> > etc. are not members of _STL; e.g.
> >
> > ../src/c_regex_traits.cpp:
> > Error E2316 c:\borland\bcc55\bin\..\include\ctype.h
> 204: '_chartype'
> > is not a member of '_STL'
> >
> > I'll try to figure out what the right Jam hoops are to get the
> build
> > I want, that is, a regex static library compiled to expect the
> > Borland static, multi-threaded runtime library.
>
> Still no luck on this front. If anyone can give me a pointer on how
> to get a runtime-link-static build of regex, that would be great!

Well you could just build from the IDE, alternatively I've got the makefile
working: open up bcb5.mak and add:

INCLUDES=-Ie:\STLport-4.5.3\stlport

and:

XLFLAGS=-Le:\STLport-4.5.3\lib

obviously using whatever path your STLport build is in place of mine.

John Maddock
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/john_maddock/index.htm