From: Dan Muller (yg-boost-users_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-27 18:28:36

Dan Muller wrote:
> I've upgraded XEmacs to the latest stable release for Windows, and that
> didn't help with this problem. Perhaps I should build the latest bjam
> from sources?
>

> Dan Muller wrote:
>
>>This may be a tad off-topic, but I couldn't find any reference to this
>>relative to XEmacs, and the problem seems to be peculiar to bjam.
>>
>>If I try to run bjam under XEmacs, e.g. via M-x compile, M-x
>>shell-command, or even from inside an XEmacs shell buffer (running CMD),
>>I get the error "spawn: Invalid argument". More specifically, if I run
>>it via shell-command, I get this:
[text elided]

>>I'm running XEmacs 21.4, with recently updated packages. The bjam
>>executable was downloaded yesterday. (I'm trying to use it for something
>>other than Boost, BTW.) The toolset I'm using is MinGW, the latest
>>stable full-package release, with no package updates.
>>
>>Anyone have an idea what might be wrong? I'm getting tired of looking at
>>my build output in a command window and then hunting for line numbers in
>>my source code. :-)

To reply to myself once more: I found the problem. The default setting
in XEmacs for the option "Explicit Msdos Shell File Name" was
cmdproxy.exe -- a program that I don't seem to have anywhere on my
system. Changing it to refer explicitly to c:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
fixed this problem for me.

Thanks for listening. :-)