From: sashan (sashang_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-15 21:02:26

>(1) Is there a "right" way to include Boost stuff with VC6? Adding the
>Boost base directory to my list of include directories seems to work
>for the official stuff, but it clearly doesn't work for the filesystem
>stuff because Directory.h is not in the base\boost directory. I can
>put it there myself, of course, but I'm wondering if there is some
>intended way to use the beta libraries before they become a part of
>the whole.

I searched for directory.h and directory.hpp within my boost package but
couldn't find it, so I can't help you there. I downloaded Boost via CVS
a few days ago so my package is probably different from yours.

>(2) Is there a "right" way to link Boost stuff with VC6? The
>filesystem stuff, like the regex stuff and some other pieces, requires
>actual compilation and cannot simply be included as header files. I
>have already built all the official libraries using the bjam utility,
>but I cannot help noticing they're each stored in hideously long paths
>beneath the boost base directory. Is there a "right" directory under
>the Boost hierarchy into which the resulting libs should be copied for
>ease of inclusion in VC6? Or should I copy them into my project
>directories as needed? Or should I simply come up with my own system?

As far a I can tell the libraries and dlls get built to the hideously
long directory and then are copied to someplace more convenient. For
example in my case with boost.python they are built to the following
long directory:

E:\Code\boost\libs\python\build\bin\boost_python.dll\msvc\release\runtime-link-dynamic

and then automatically copied into:

E:\Code\boost\libs\python\build\bin-stage

I've also setup a VC++ .dsp file for building my Boost.Python projects
because I got sick of looking at the command line output generated by
bjam. It seems to be working fine.