From: William E. Kempf (wekempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-19 10:22:02

Martin Johnson said:

> Hi,
>
> Just to get it through my thick skull.
>
>>The threadmon.dll is a seperate library that's always dynamically
>> linked.
>
> Then why not make threads a dynamic lib.
>
> As an exercise I attempted this though as I found that the template
> methods of condition a little troublesome. Could this not be reworked by
> reworking or typing the condition class.

I ran into several such difficulties in making Boost.Threads a DLL. I do
plan on tackling this at some point, it's just low priority for me. If
it's a higher priority for you and you wish to give it a try and send me
the patches, I'd be happy to do this.

> I am able to build the lib as a dll with threadmon.cpp included. It
> involves exporting all classes and crude hack to condition *just* to get
> it to work. It would appear to function correctly as far as I can see.
> With the cleanup handlers being called without requiring a seperate dll,
> though I guess this puts a static link a little out of the picture. But
> why would I static link anyway, for distribution purposes, but I have to
> distribute threadmon.dll

To reduce down load sizes, typically.

> What do you think?
>
> I am just trying to think of a way around it, I know you have been there
> done that but i just need to appreciate this a little better.

I think the *option* of building as a DLL is much more than appropriate,
it's simply what should be done. Like I said, I attempted to do this
quickly and ran into several issues (all of which I'm positive can be
worked around). I just didn't have the time to work around the issues
discovered, and it's still a low priority for me.

William E. Kempf