From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-28 18:38:02

"Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Historically, conflicts between Bind and Lambda were almost never a problem,
> since there is rarely a reason to use both; the two libraries complement
> each other as Bind is typically used on non-conformant compilers where
> Lambda is not supported.
>
> The long term goal has always been to have one library. Unfortunately, the
> underlying architectures of Bind and Lambda are too different and it's not
> easy to just merge them while still retaining support for MSVC 6, for
> example. So it's a case of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it".

I think I agree with Markus that it is in fact broken. It's easy to
imagine dependency scenarios like this:

    lambda <-- libA <-\
                       }--> App
    bind <-- libB <-/

The guy writing App shouldn't have to be aware of the dependency
conflict between libA and libB. Incidentally, MPL had to move all of
its placeholders when it turned out that Boost.Python was using bind.

--
                       David Abrahams