From: Tarjei Knapstad (tarjeik_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-05 08:14:36

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 13:50, okrslar wrote:
> --- In Boost-Users_at_[hidden], Jeff Holle <jeff.holle_at_v...> wrote:
> > I'd think a hashed dictionary would be needed for such a large data set.
> > There is a caviot though, weither or not a good hash function can be
> > created.
> >
> > The good thing is that its easy to experiment with different STL
> > associative containers, as long as you have SGI's STL or a derivative/
> > or good alternative.
> >
> > In SGI, the container is hash_map.
>
> We don't have SGI STL around here. I've seen that before, but I hoped
> that there would be an other way than changing my STL version... It's
> amazing that there is no hashtable in the stdc++, isn't it?

More or less... :) Hashed containers were introduced too late to make it
into the standard IIRC, allthough most STL implementations have them and
most STL books document them.

I believe you can be pretty certain they'll make it into the next
standard though :)

I'd be interested to know which STL implementation it is you are using
that don't have hashed containers? I would strongly consider switching
to STLport for instance.

Regards,

--
Tarjei