From: venkatram_krishnaswamy (vkrishnaswamy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-24 20:42:55

Hi

I have a question about semantic actions which generate the equivalent
of synthesized attributes.

It seems that the right hand side of the expression below

rule = element [rule.val = val_type(some_params)];

will require the type of val in the closure associated with rule to be
val_type which has a constructor which looks like
val_type::val_type(some_params).

Its not clear to me however how I would synthesize an attribute which
is a pointer to some type. For example, in the closure I would like
the type of synthesized attribute to be val_type* and for the right
hand side of assignment above to be
val_type(some_params)() which returns a val_type*
where the following was true of the () operator :

const val_type* val_type::operator () {do something and eventually
return a val_type*;}

I'd be very grateful if someone could clue me in on how I might do this.

thanks

venkat