From: rmarsdena_at_[hidden]
Date: 2003-06-03 16:09:35

I'm trying to use jam in place of nmake under VC6. The interesting thing
is, I'm trying to use the VC7.1 compiler (I hate the new IDE).

The problem is that the Path environment is hijacked by VC6 and replaced
with its own idea of what the world should look like (i.e. VC6 paths).

In nmake, I can do:

MSDEV = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003
MSVC = $(MSDEV)\VC7
CPP = "$(MSVC)\bin\cl"
IDE = $(MSDEV)\COMMON7\IDE
PATH = $(IDE);$(PATH)
INCLUDE = $(MSVC)\Include

Fred.exe: Fred.cpp
                $(CPP) Fred.cpp

and all is well. VC7.1 runs and compiles Fred.

Under jam, I can load VC7.1 but it won't run because it looks in the path
for its DLLs, from the IDE, and the path isn't getting set. If I preset
the path before running VC6, the VC7.1 stuff is stripped out by VC6 as it
loads.

Is there a way round this, or do I have to go back to nmake :-(

Rob Marsden
Gistix (Northern) Limited