From: klapshin (klapshin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-09 15:58:13

I tend to like Boost.Test more. The only advantage (or disadvantage)
of CppUnit is that it is a JUnit port. Hence if you know JUnit already
learning CppUnit is easier. But then again, either of them are not
hard to learn.

I prefer Boost.Test because:
1. It is more flexible in terms of test case arrangements, you can use
free functions, classes, whatever.

2. BOOST_CHECK and BOOST_REQUIRE (CppUnit does not provide anything
similiar to BOOST_CHECK)

3. Boost framework correclty reports all non C++ exceptions (memory
violations, division by zero etc.) while in CppUnit you get very
helpful "Unknown exception" message.

4. Boost tools (CHECK, REQUIRE etc) more robust and provide better
reporting capabilities (for instance you can check if two containers
are equual)

5. CppUnit is no longer evolves, and it certainly misses some
functionality, and has some bugs.

I am sure this is not a full list, I just switched from CppUnit to
Boost.Test and my Boost.Test knowledge is not thorough enough.

Amoung things I am missing in boost.test -- ability to call test
suites by name. Well to be fair, CppUnit does not provide such
functionality out of the box either. Also it is planned for next
version of the Boost.Test.

--Kirill