From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-10 19:19:34

Mark Sizer <yg-boost-users_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I hacked gnu.hpp to allow the 3.3 compiler. The error message changed to
> being unable to find the std:: headers (first one was <utility> from
> select_stdlib.hpp). I seem to have at least four versions:
> /usr/include/g++-2/utility
> /usr/include/g++-3/utility
> /usr/include/g++-v3/utility (judging by the dates, this seems the
> correct one)
> /usr/local/include/c++/utility
>
> Obviously, none of these are in the compiler's include path.
>
> bjam "-sTOOLS=gcc" "-sGCC_INCLUDE_DIRECTORY=/usr/include/g++-v3"
>
> Wasn't helpful: "bits/c++config.h" can't be found. That's in
> /usr/include/g++-v3/i686-pc-linux-gnu. However, there doesn't seem to be
> a way to specify more than one include directory (neither multiple "-s"
> nor delimited paths in a single "-s" worked).
>
> So I copied everything from i686-pc-linux-gnu/bits to ../../bits. It built.
>
> This can't be normal. How is this process supposed to work?

This, unfortunately, is not really a Boost question. The problem is
with your GCC installation. I'm not an expert on what it takes to do
it right, but I have done it successfully many times. When installing
on a system which has another existing GCC installation, IIRC, you
*must* use --prefix=... to arrange for it to be installed somewhere
other than the default place. I suggest you take further questions
to a GCC list.

HTH,

--
Dave Abrahams