From: Alisdair Meredith (yg-boost-users_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-01 12:43:17

chris_baus wrote:

> The following seems like a battle of wills between two different
> typing paradigms.

> std::vector<boost::any> m_schizophrenicCollection;

Schizophenic conventions are a fact of life in C++ :¬ (

Standard library uses one convention, most vendor frameworks / OS APIs
use another.

Any 3rd party libraries you use are likely to introduce at least a
third, and maybe fourth and fifth.

Reconciling all the above means the in-house conventions quickly become
yet another. I strive for local consistency within a piece of code.
For instance, I would use the same convention for naming all members
within a class, and implementing the associated functions. I would not
worry too much if some of the type names it uses, or calls to other
libraries it makes, use different conventions. Then select convention
for the class itself based on its typical usage.

So long as the code is clear and consistent in how it moves between
conventions, most readers can adapt and don't even notice they are doing
it.

--
AlisdairM
Team Thai Kingdom