From: Rene Rivera (yg-boost-users_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-12 10:46:31

In article <bh9jqu$2b0$1_at_[hidden]>,
 Jason Winnebeck <yg-boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Here is ideally what I want: My boost is simple boost 1.30 unmodifed
> whatsoever but just the headers I need. If they don't have Boost at all
> and don't care about using Boost directly they can install my 100k or so
> mini-Boost files.
>
> If they are willing to download a 10 meg Boost lib, or have the full
> Boost, I would like them to use that. My Boost is entirely unmodified
> and since my lib is open source I encourage them to compile my lib with
> the latest versions of the dependencies. I'd love nothing more than to
> see people willing to download the 10meg Boost for my 300k library and
> delete my mini-Boost.

OK, here's what I would do in your situation...

Structure your distribution to have two downloads: one with the mini-boost,
and the other without.

The distribution with the mini-boot would already be set up to use it when
it's used. You already have to tell users to add the include for your library.
So include the mini-boost directory tree right in your libraries include
directory.

The distribution without mini-boost would require that users download, or
somehow install a full Boost distribution. You then ask them to configure your
library to use that installation. If you use something like autotools you can
add some configure option. Or you can ask the user to set a BOOST_ROOT env
var. But bassically since the user made the descition to use their own Boost
installation they should know how to manage using it.

PS. I'm working on a more standardized build+install sequence for Boost. So in
the not so distant future it will be easier to tell people to download and
install Boost ;-)

--
-- grafik
-- Don't Assume Anything