From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-13 18:17:00

Jason Winnebeck <yg-boost-users_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Rene Rivera wrote:
>> So you might be better off just telling users that they need to have some
>> minimum Boost version and leave it at that. Most developers are smart enough
>> to go get the Boost source and configure their compiler to know about it, on
>> their own.
>
> OK so what does "on their own" mean.
>
> Because Boost headers include themselves with <boost/whatever.hpp>
> boost MUST be in the compiler include path. That means it must be
> installed for the user's compiler path somehow.

I don't know what that means. With the appropriate command-line
options you can get all compilers I know of to find them no matter
where they're installed.

> On Linux there is /usr/include which is OK to install stuff to but
> what about on Windows? For mingw32 there is no user include
> directory.

I have no problem using boost with mingw32. I keep my boost
installation at c:/boost. My mingw32 is installed at
c:/tools/mingw-2.0.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting