From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-09 06:57:14

> I've noticed that in
> boost/config/platform/hpux.hpp
> this lines:
> #ifdef __GNUC__
> // GNU C on HP-UX does not support threads (checked up to gcc 3.3)
> # define BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS
> #endif
> have been added in version 1.30.x.
>
> Please, ¿can someone explain me why?
> I have commented out the #define BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS and it works in
> gcc 3.2 with HP-UX 11.00.

What do you mean by "works" have you run the test programs? "Compiles" !=
"works" in this case :-]

> We do not use Jam to build the library, but I think that that doesn't
> matter.
>
> gcc --version:
> gcc (GCC) 3.2
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is
NO
> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE.

It doesn't look as though gcc was built in thread safe mode... if not it
won't generate thread safe code for things like exception handling either,
you may get some mileage if you rebuild gcc from source
with --enable-threads passed to the configure step, but I don't know for
sure...

John.