From: Raul Huertas Diaz (rhuertas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-11 07:53:05

> > I've noticed that in
> > boost/config/platform/hpux.hpp
> > this lines:
> > #ifdef __GNUC__
> > // GNU C on HP-UX does not support threads (checked up to gcc 3.3)
> > # define BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS
> > #endif
> > have been added in version 1.30.x.
> >
> > Please, ¿can someone explain me why?
> > I have commented out the #define BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS and it works in
> > gcc 3.2 with HP-UX 11.00.
>
> What do you mean by "works" have you run the test programs? "Compiles" !=
> "works" in this case :-]

After I write the message, I read in
   http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#hppa*-hp-hpux11
that
"
hppa*-hp-hpux11
Thread support is not currently implemented, so --enable-threads does not work.
See:

    * http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-prs/2002-01/msg00551.html
    * http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2002-01/msg00663.html
"

But I have run tests (not the ones that comes with boost).
We haven't deploy any program with boost 1.30.2 yet, but they seems to work until now (in testing phase). Perhaps we are not making good tests. ;)

I will try to execute all the boost test programs but perhaps you know which are the ones that demostrates that "GNU C on HP-UX does not support threads" ;).
¿Is there some concrete feature that doesn't work?

> It doesn't look as though gcc was built in thread safe mode... if not it
> won't generate thread safe code for things like exception handling either,
> you may get some mileage if you rebuild gcc from source
> with --enable-threads passed to the configure step, but I don't know for
> sure...

Uhhmmm. I thought that they have built gcc with --enable-threads, but it seems impossible. I have to check it out.

So, after all, it seems that, again, you are right. 8)

Thanks a lot, and, please, excuse my poor English.

--
Raúl Huertas Díaz
TCP Sistemas e Ingenieria