From: Tom Weber (np98towe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-27 20:10:11

Hello,
I downloaded boost today so regard me as a newbie. Boost seems great, but the
documentation doesn't mention how I should install boost on my system (redhat
9), and how to link against the built libraries. Sure I can include it in
every project (though it's huge!), and make the makefiles link into strange
locations such as
libs/test/build/bin/libboost_unit_test_framework.a/gcc/debug/runtime-link-static/threading-single/libboost_unit_test_framework.a

Is there an easier way?

Why aren't packages like boost-[devel-]VERSION.PLATFORM.rpm made?

Why aren't all built libraries put in the same directory, with a simple path
name?

Why isn't the thread library built statically? Is putting a "lib" section with
BOOST_THREAD_BUILD_STATIC=1 in the Jamfile a legal fix? (seems to work)

Also... I think boost should have a network library. Can anyone recommend a
platform-independent network library?

I'm thankful for any answer...

--
Cheers,