From: Douglas Paul Gregor (gregod_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-28 10:16:43

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, Tom Weber wrote:

> Hello,
> I downloaded boost today so regard me as a newbie. Boost seems great, but the
> documentation doesn't mention how I should install boost on my system (redhat
> 9), and how to link against the built libraries. Sure I can include it in
> every project (though it's huge!), and make the makefiles link into strange
> locations such as
> libs/test/build/bin/libboost_unit_test_framework.a/gcc/debug/runtime-link-static/threading-single/libboost_unit_test_framework.a
>
> Is there an easier way?

Most Boost libraries don't even require that you build anything
explicitly; all code is in the headers.

> Why aren't packages like boost-[devel-]VERSION.PLATFORM.rpm made?

We don't have a maintainer interested in making these packages for each
release. If such a maintainer materializes, we'd of course be glad to
release RPMs as well.

> Why aren't all built libraries put in the same directory, with a simple path
> name?

It's because Boost.Jam is intended to be able to build a project for many
compilers/configurations simultaneously. In 1.31.0, we will have a much
better solution for this that will put all built libraries into the same
directory (and handles automatic linking on on some platforms/compilers).

> Why isn't the thread library built statically? Is putting a "lib" section with
> BOOST_THREAD_BUILD_STATIC=1 in the Jamfile a legal fix? (seems to work)

The Thread lib must be build as a dynamic library. I don't know the
specifics, but I believe is has something to do with thread-specific
storage initialization or cleanup.

> Also... I think boost should have a network library. Can anyone recommend a
> platform-independent network library?

We think so two, and there's one in the design stage:

http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?BoostSocket

I don't know any good alternatives. Perhaps ACE?

Doug