From: Jeff Flinn (TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-15 09:11:44

"Angus Leeming" <angus.leeming_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Jeff Flinn wrote:
> > And a more descriptive, less jargon-ish name.
>
> Why? Rich is proposing something that would iterate over the files
> returned by the unix 'glob' function.

Other OS's have wildcard matching, with nary a mention of "glob". No doubt
in the minority, I didn't have a clue what a "glob" was. My first impression
was not to bother reading as it was a joke - based on "glob"'s definition in
the(Merriam-Webster) dictionary - "a small drop" or "a large rounded mass".
I must be showing my age - "Rock - that's not music!, now Benny Goodman's
another thing...".

> "*.abc" is a 'glob' just as "^.*\.abc$" is the equivalent 'regular
> expression'. Both are jargon and both are fine. It's just that you're
> used to the latter..

Then you might want this link in the documentation:

http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/g.html#glob

Jeff