From: Jim.Hyslop (Jim.Hyslop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-15 09:40:07

Angus Leeming [mailto:angus.leeming_at_[hidden]] wrote:
> Jeff Flinn wrote:
> > And a more descriptive, less jargon-ish name.
>
> Why? Rich is proposing something that would iterate over the files
> returned by the unix 'glob' function.
As much as you might hate to admit it, you must recognize that the world
does not revolve around UNIX (and before anyone claims otherwise, nor does
the world revolve around Windows).

To my knowledge, "glob" is not a standard computer term, nor a standard C++
term, it is a standard UNIX term. Now, I could be wrong, but my
understanding of the ISO standardization process is make everything
platform-independent (and keep in mind that one of the original goals of
Boost was to be included in the Standard). The *concept* of the "glob" is
pretty much platform independent, but the term is not, so it should have (to
paraphrase Jeff) a more descriptive, less platform-specific name.

--
Jim Hyslop
Senior Software Designer