From: James Mastro (jmastro_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-24 11:56:16

On Mar 24, 2004, at 8:45 AM, Michael Short wrote:

> First I done find the bjam tool?
>
> Second when I build the bjam tool myself I get the following error.
> Jamfile:71: in module scope
> rule unless unknown in module.

Here's how I built bjam:

Download the 1.31.0 sources from SourceForge from the link in my other
mail. This will give you a folder called "boost_1_31_0" which I will
call BOOST_ROOT.

To build bjam:

cd {BOOST_ROOT}/tools/build/jam_src
sh ./build.sh

This builds bjam and jam in
"{BOOST_ROOT}/tools/build/jam_src/bin.macosxppc".
When you build boost, bjam needs to be in your path somewhere. I made a
folder ~/bin which is in my path. I copied bjam and jam into ~/bin.
Don't forget to add the folder to your $PATH variable if it isn't
already.

Then to build the boost libs:

cd {BOOST_ROOT}
bjam "-sTOOLS=darwin" install

I'm pretty sure that's all I did to get them to build and install.
IIRC, almost all libs built without a problem. Also, it is possible you
do not even need to build the boost libraries depending on what parts
of boost you are using if you still have problems. I used the
smart_ptr's only for a long time without ever building anything, since
they are just template headers.

Most of this is just from
http://www.boost.org/tools/build/jam_src/index.html#building_bjam

-jim