From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-24 20:33:52

At 11:50 AM 3/23/2004, Simon Hammett wrote:
>IIRC,
>
>We had a similar problem in one of our apps with GetFileAttributesA. The
>solution was to switch to FindFirstFile, FindClose, giving raise to the
>suspicion that some implementations of GetFileAttributes are broken.

That would be a truly horrible bug. GetFileAttributes() isn't just some
minor, rarely used function. It is critical to the correct operation of a
number of Boost.Filesystem functions, and I'd guess many tens of thousands
of other applications. It is hard to imagine a Windows system staying
stable if GetFileAttributes() failed very often.

I'm going to be travelling over the next few days and can't research this.
Could someone post a description on
microsoft.public.win32.programmer.kernel and see if those folks have any
insights? You can use google groups via
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=microsoft.public.win32.programmer.kernel

Thanks,

--Beman