From: Darryl Green (Darryl.Green_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-24 21:41:53

I've been trying to educate myself about the law in this area,
with some help from Alexander Terekhov. I'm not at all convinced
now that there is any derivative work produced by the compilation
step, however this seems to make no difference to the result.
It seems the compiled code is a translation of both works,
agregated (a compilation) in some way then. I think whoever
produces the compilation can license it however they like,
subject to permission being granted by the authors of the
original works to include their work in the compilation.
I don't know if this is sufficiently clearly allowed by
the wording of the boost license, though I think "use"
must surely allow this for software source libs as there
is no other way to "use" them.

So the final answer is the same - but some of the questions
and answers in between may be wrong.

Have you received any feedback from lawyers about this?

Regards
Darryl Green.

This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and
then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use,
disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission.
We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software
viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any
attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or
damage caused by software viruses.