From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-26 03:00:43

Michael Short <mst03004_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hello
>
> well I always have problem following unix like instructions but the
> main problem I had with these instruction was that there was a lot of
> if you have this system do that if you have that config do this,
> etc. Which ends up getting a little confusing

I don't see anything like that between the download step and the
final section labelled "Additional Steps". Please be specific about
where you got confused.

> and it would seamed that the instructions just got complicated. It
> would be better to see a common/general step by step for system a,b
> and c, like Mac os x, pc, unix etc. leaving the more complete
> documents for those who have a custom config.

I don't understand what you're asking for. Every platform I know of
is supported by a few different compilers. Do you think we should
produce a separate document for each of M platforms x N compilers?

> This is just my opinion but I think in the long run when one for each
> system is avalable then there will be no more problem like this which
> as boost gets more populare is going to happen. when more people start
> leaving windows and moving to linux or unix or macos then there are
> going to be a number of unformilare people lost in a unix back ground.
>
> If you would like like any more input please ask.

Specific suggested changes to the docs (in the form of new text)
would be a big help.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting