From: Aaron W. LaFramboise (aaronrabiddog51_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-07 06:34:51

Darryl Green wrote:

>>For those that need something portable we should be able to
>>get microsecond
>>resolution for Windows, Linux, and probably a few more...
>>
>>Jeff
>>

>Microsecond resolution on linux? What interface provides this? I have a
>linux platform or 2 that I'm pretty sure won't provide it at present,
>but probably could with some kernel hacking, if only there was some
>sensible interface to connect it to user space.

The way to do this would be with the newer POSIX clock_gettime() etc.
Its only well-implemented in recent Linux kernels supposedly, and I have
not yet tested it myself. I notice some other systems seem to be using
clock_gettime() also. rdtsc might be a possibility too for Intel
machines if uncertainties with it could be worked out.

Aaron