From: Michael Glassford (glassfordm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-04 09:35:52

Edward Diener wrote:

> Peter Dimov wrote:
>
>>Edward Diener wrote:
>>
>>>I think, Mr. Dimov, if you could document 'protect' and 'apply' a
>>>little better in relation to boost::bind and give more exmaples of
>>>their usage, it would be helpful to many programmers running into
>>>problems such as the current one has.
>>
>>I am left with the impression that you think that I find the
>>documentation perfect, have plenty of free time, but deliberately
>>don't update it. ;-)
>

> What in the language to my comment would make you believe that ?

Well, since you asked: it struck my ear that way too, and I think the
reason is that the "I think, Mr. Dimov" gives the whole thing too formal
a tone, almost as if you were talking down to him or demanding that he
do something about it. If you had omitted those first four words it
would have been a simple request; if you had omitted the "Mr. Dimov", it
would have had a much more friendly tone. In some contexts "Mr. Dimov"
would show respect, but in the informal context of a mailing list it has
the opposite effect.

 From your reply you obviously didn't mean it the way it sounded to
Peter and to me; no big deal--that's one of the hazards of written
communication with people you've never met.

Mike