From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-01 19:50:55

David Abrahams wrote:
> "Edward Diener" <eddielee_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> In the C++ standard library the only thing known about filenames is
>> that they are currently a sequence of narrow characters, with all
>> other meanings and usage being purely implementation defined. My
>> suggestion was that wide character filenames be added to the C++
>> standard library with the single proviso that they be a sequence of
>> wide characters, with all other meanings being purely implementation
>> defined. Needless to say, my suggestion was rejected.
>
> IIRC some people agreed with you, and some didn't. No?

That is true, but I would say that those people who were part of the C++
standard committee generally didn't. In particular Mr. Plauger didn't, and
he seems to be a leading force behind internationalization efforts on the
commitee. I received a strong feeling that the committee had already
rejected the argument previously to add implementation defined wide
character file name support to the standard library, and that no argument
could change their mind. What still bothers me is how clear my argument was
and how much resistance existed to it. Hopefully my argument, and that of
others on the NG who also argued for the support, will lead to adding it to
the C++ standard library in the future.