From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-01 22:43:44

"Edward Diener" <eddielee_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> IIRC some people agreed with you, and some didn't. No?
>
> That is true, but I would say that those people who were part of the C++
> standard committee generally didn't. In particular Mr. Plauger didn't, and
> he seems to be a leading force behind internationalization efforts on the
> commitee.

I don't think he is. There really aren't many internationalization
efforts AFAICT.

> I received a strong feeling that the committee had already
> rejected the argument previously to add implementation defined wide
> character file name support to the standard library, and that no argument
> could change their mind.

Take care not to interpret one or two peoples' strongly-stated
opinions as the judgement of the committee as a whole.

> What still bothers me is how clear my argument was and how much
> resistance existed to it. Hopefully my argument, and that of others
> on the NG who also argued for the support, will lead to adding it to
> the C++ standard library in the future.

Not likely. As I've said over and over; proposals and follow-through
get stuff added. Arguments on newsgroups typically do not.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting