From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-14 14:04:26

"Brewer, Christopher" <cbrewer_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David-
>
> When you asked me to run the following lines:
> bjam -f- "-sTOOLS=mingw" install
> ECHO $(TOOLS) ;
> ^Z
> I see the following:
> bjam -f- "-sTOOLS=mingw" install
> (hundreds of lines of error text go by here)
>
> ECHO $(TOOLS) ;
> reply is:
> sh: ./TOOLS: is a directory
>
> ...and nothing is displayed after entering ctrl-Z :)
>
> The reply to ECHO $(TOOLS) ; seems odd. I doubt that this is what you were
> expecting. There *is* a 'tools' directory under boost_1_31_0, but not a
> 'TOOLS' directory. Case-sensitivity issues?
>
> I have also run the following:
> bjam -d+5 "-sTOOLS=mingw" install > bug.out
>
> Note that not everything is captured in 'bug.out'. I see hundreds of lines
> of the following on the console:
> The system cannot find the path specified.
> This is not surprising as I don't have VC7 installed.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have a place to publicly park the compressed 'bug.out'
> file so I will email it directly to you. However, here's the first few lines
> if that's of any help.

There is something *very* wrong with your command shell or your bjam
executable.

This is what you should see:

  C:\boost>bjam -f- "-sTOOLS=mingw" install
  ECHO $(TOOLS) ;
  ^Z
  mingw
  don't know how to make install
  ...found 1 target...
  ...can't find 1 target...
  C:\boost>

the -f- option prevents bjam from reading any of the build system
files (which is where the hundreds of lines come from). All I can
conclude is that either:

  a. your bjam tool is never getting the command-line arguments

or

  b. somehow your command shell is inserting additional command-line
  arguments before the -f-.

Try this one:

  C:\boost>bjam -f- "-sTOOLS=mingw" install
  ECHO $(ARGV) ;
  ^Z
  c:/boost/tools/build/jam_src/bin.ntx86/bjam -f- -sTOOLS=mingw install
  don't know how to make install
  ...found 1 target...
  ...can't find 1 target...

You can do this in some directory that's not in your Boost tree to
avoid the thousands of lines... uhhh.... wait....

> ECHO $(TOOLS) ;

this got interpreted by your command shell:

> reply is:
> sh: ./TOOLS: is a directory

which is sh or bash. If you build bjam with vc7 you have to run it
under the standard windows command shell. If you want one you can
run under msys... maybe you have to build it with mingw under msys.
Though I'm not at all confident it will work.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting