From: Brian Braatz (brianb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-27 18:15:42

> Brian Braatz wrote:
>
> > Any help would be appreciated, tomorrow afternoon I am going to go
back
> > at it, and this time I might "get all medieval" about things :)

> Rene Rivera Wrote:
> build/v2 is not used for building Boost. It's the experimental, and
> under development, next version of Boost.Build. If you plan on using
> BBv2 read its separate documentation at
> boost-root/tools/build/v2/index_v2.html

I am sorry - I am confused and am trying to find my way out:

*- What is listed for download on sourceforge does not reference a
version of build v1 or bjam v1 or what have you. ( I am confused as to
how to get the older version)

* when I build the code in jam_src and run it- it reports:
Boost.Jam Version 3.1.8. OS=NT.
        This is the same version I used to build boost with
(successfully) with vc7.1. I am using the source for bjam included in
the 1.31 release of boost

* when I try to build boost with a simple bjam stage at the root dir of
boost, it succeeds

* when I double check the BOOST_ROOT env var with a dir command- it
shows me the right dir

* my TOOLS envvar is set to TOOLS=vc7.1
        This was necessary before being able to build boost

* when I CD into the HELLO example for bjam and try a

        Bjam

        I GET

        warning: no toolsets are configured.
warning: you won't be able to build C++ programs.
warning: please consult the documentation.

C:/Data/Rmtg/Root/_Common/_Lib/Boost/V_1_31/tools/build/v2/build\targets
.jam:1073: in construct from module object(exe-t
arget-class)@1
error: unable to construct ./hello
C:/Data/Rmtg/Root/_Common/_Lib/Boost/V_1_31/tools/build/v2/build\targets
.jam:914: in object(exe-target-class)@1.generate
 from module object(exe-target-class)@1
C:/Data/Rmtg/Root/_Common/_Lib/Boost/V_1_31/tools/build/v2/build\targets
.jam:510: in generate-really from module object(
main-target)@1
C:/Data/Rmtg/Root/_Common/_Lib/Boost/V_1_31/tools/build/v2/build\targets
.jam:483: in object(main-target)@1.generate from
 module object(main-target)@1
C:/Data/Rmtg/Root/_Common/_Lib/Boost/V_1_31/tools/build/v2/build\targets
.jam:179: in object(project-target)@1.generate f
rom module object(project-target)@1
C:/Data/Rmtg/Root/_Common/_Lib/Boost/V_1_31/tools/build/v2\build-system.
jam:160: in load from module build-system
C:\Data\Rmtg\Root\_Common\_Lib\Boost\V_1_31\tools\build\v2\example\..\ke
rnel\modules.jam:259: in import from module modu
les
C:\Data\Rmtg\Root\_Common\_Lib\Boost\V_1_31\tools\build\v2\example\..\ke
rnel\bootstrap.jam:120: in boost-build from modu
le
C:\Data\Rmtg\Root\_Common\_Lib\Boost\V_1_31\tools\build\v2\example\boost
-build.jam:2: in module scope from module

When I TRY:

bjam -sTOOLS=vc7.1
bjam "-sTOOLS=vc7.1"
bjam debug
bjam release
bjam "-sTOOLS=vc7.1" debug
bjam "-sTOOLS=vc7.1" release

I always get the above errors

If I COPY the files in \tools\build\v2\example\hello to the ROOT of
boost (and overwrite the jam file there)- IT DOES BUILD PROPERLY

I have build bjam and stepped through it in the IDE and was not able to
make much of what the source was doing (other than it looks like a lot
of recursive parsing of files) (spent most of my evening yesterday doing
that.

MY QUESTIONS:

* Which is the right version of boost to be running here?
* does the \tools\build\v2\example\hello sample bjam compile for anyone
else? (i.e. is it broken?)
* is there a good sample of a simple working example for bjam somewhere
else?
* Any ideas on why I can BUILD BOOST but not any of the subprojects
(everything else I have tried has the same problems)
* How do you folks debug this thing- ****any**** techniques would be
helpful
* is the toolsets it is complaining about the COMPILER (i.e. TOOLS
envvar?) or is it something else entirely?
* HELP ! :)

I am doing this pain because I am trying to get boost defined as the
standard in my company (It is within my power to do that). I would also
like to use the bjam tool as our standard build tool, but I FIRST need
to figure out how to build projects with it (grin).

Thanks to anyone for thoughts or things to try.

Thanks

Brian C Braatz