From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-06 16:48:57

Aaronburro_at_[hidden] wrote:

> Howdy, Sorry if this gets posted twice. i tried the webpage over at
> news.gmane.org, but it doesn't look like it got posted, so I
> subscribed(yay).

Regardless of what Gmane says the group requires that you subscribe
before letting you post.

> Anyway, I'm trying to install Boost on Windows with the DJGPP
> compiler for c++. I've basically done nothing but get one big
> headache trying to follow the instructions at boost.org.

I personally haven't tried that one.. so many G++ variants.

Which version of Boost? -- I'll assume 1.31.0 for now :-)

> So far, I have bjam in my windows\system32 directory.

Which version of bjam? Where did you get it from?

>I tried to set
> it up to use DJGPP, a variant of gcc, but it doesn't seem to like my
> request. bjam keeps trying to use g++ instead of gpp, even though I
> gave it the GXX=gpp option. It also can't seem to find the directory
> of DJGPP, even though I used the GCC_ROOT_DIRECTORY=C:\DGJPP\ option
> as well.

What was the commands you used? I just tried this:

C:\Boost\boost_1_31_0>bjam -sGXX=gpp -sGCC_ROOT_DIRECTORY=C:\DGJPP
-sTOOLS=gcc -n stage

And it's trying to execute commands like this (-n is the option to only
echo the commands):

C:\DGJPP/bin/\gpp -c -Wall -ftemplate-depth-100
-DBOOST_DATE_TIME_POSIX_TIME_STD_CONFIG -DBOOST_ALL_DYN_LINK=1 -g -O0
-f no-inline -I"bin\boost\libs\date_time\build" -I
"C:\Boost\boost_1_31_0" -o
"bin\boost\libs\date_time\build\boost_date_time.dll\gcc\debug\greg_month.obj"

"C:/Boost/boost_1_31_0/libs/date_time/build/../src/gregorian/greg_month.cpp"

Which seems correct.

>I am thoroughly stumped, and the documents over at
> boost.org seem to have been written by monkeys, albeit ones with good
> spelling and grammar.

Which documents? Although opinions vary, most people I've met don't
consider me a monkey... But I must grant you there is some evolutionary
resemblance ;-)

[[ I'm an easy going person, so the monkey comment doesn't phase me...
But you'll likely get better responses if you don't come off as
insulting people. ]]

> I am fairly computer literate, but those
> things are like rocket science to me(and I'm a nuclear engineer ;))
>
> I'd use Boost.Build's .bat file, but I can't get bjam to work right,
> and then God only knows what I'll do from there, so I'd greatly
> appreciate a more "step-by-step" approach which is geared towards a
> WindowsXP user. Bryan Burroughs

Did you read the "Getting Started" document? It's supposed to be the
step by step instructions.

http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started.html
Getting Started

(Or you can find it in the distribution at */more/getting_started.html)

If you did, I'd certainly like to get feedback on how to improve it.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything