From: Bryan Burroughs (aaronburro_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-06 20:17:15

grafik.list_at_[hidden] wrote:

> Aaronburro_at_[hidden] wrote:
>
>> Howdy, Sorry if this gets posted twice. i tried the webpage over at
>> news.gmane.org, but it doesn't look like it got posted, so I
>> subscribed(yay).
>

> Regardless of what Gmane says the group requires that you subscribe
> before letting you post.
>
>> Anyway, I'm trying to install Boost on Windows with the DJGPP
>> compiler for c++. I've basically done nothing but get one big
>> headache trying to follow the instructions at boost.org.
>

> I personally haven't tried that one.. so many G++ variants.
>
> Which version of Boost? -- I'll assume 1.31.0 for now :-)

Yeah, I'm using 1.31.0

>> So far, I have bjam in my windows\system32 directory.
>

> Which version of bjam? Where did you get it from?

I got bjam from the link on the getting started page, so I assume it is
the latest verson. Thouugh, if you want to be picky, it came from
Virginia ;)

>> I tried to set
>> it up to use DJGPP, a variant of gcc, but it doesn't seem to like my
>> request. bjam keeps trying to use g++ instead of gpp, even though I
>> gave it the GXX=gpp option. It also can't seem to find the directory
>> of DJGPP, even though I used the GCC_ROOT_DIRECTORY=C:\DGJPP\ option
>> as well.
>

> What was the commands you used? I just tried this:
>
> C:\Boost\boost_1_31_0>bjam -sGXX=gpp -sGCC_ROOT_DIRECTORY=C:\DGJPP
> -sTOOLS=gcc -n stage

K, I put the commands in one at a time instead of all at once. That
must be the problem there. The doc pages only show examples which
change one option only, so that was my hangup. I wasn't sure if you
could do multiple changes, and I wasn't sure how to do the multiples.
That'll prolly help me get Boost.Build up and running.

> And it's trying to execute commands like this (-n is the option to
> only echo the commands):
>
> C:\DGJPP/bin/\gpp -c -Wall -ftemplate-depth-100
> -DBOOST_DATE_TIME_POSIX_TIME_STD_CONFIG -DBOOST_ALL_DYN_LINK=1 -g -O0
> -f no-inline -I"bin\boost\libs\date_time\build" -I
> "C:\Boost\boost_1_31_0" -o
> "bin\boost\libs\date_time\build\boost_date_time.dll\gcc\debug\greg_month.obj"
>
> "C:/Boost/boost_1_31_0/libs/date_time/build/../src/gregorian/greg_month.cpp"
>

> Which seems correct.
>
>> I am thoroughly stumped, and the documents over at
>> boost.org seem to have been written by monkeys, albeit ones with good
>> spelling and grammar.
>

> Which documents? Although opinions vary, most people I've met don't
> consider me a monkey... But I must grant you there is some
> evolutionary resemblance ;-)
>
> [[ I'm an easy going person, so the monkey comment doesn't phase me...
> But you'll likely get better responses if you don't come off as
> insulting people. ]]

Yeah, I figured someone who wrote the docs would be on this list, and I
meant to put an aside in saying it was just a joke. Although, to be
fair, it'd be more accurate to say that the docs read more like my
nuclear engineering texts than an easy how-to guide.

>> I am fairly computer literate, but those
>> things are like rocket science to me(and I'm a nuclear engineer ;))
>>
>> I'd use Boost.Build's .bat file, but I can't get bjam to work right,
>> and then God only knows what I'll do from there, so I'd greatly
>> appreciate a more "step-by-step" approach which is geared towards a
>> WindowsXP user. Bryan Burroughs
>

> Did you read the "Getting Started" document? It's supposed to be the
> step by step instructions.

Oh yes, thats where the big headache came from ;) Though, it was quite
easy to navigate through, up until the Configuring the Tools section. I
think part of my confusion is due to the fact that I have no .bat files
that I run when I get going. I use slickedit for writing programs
(which is a nightmare in itself sometimes), so all of the other stuff is
a tad unfamiliar to me. I just tried to setup bjam for DJGPP, and it'll
prolly go just fine, once I get it set up right. Maybe showing how to
do multiple options setting would be helpful (ie, bjam -sFOOBAR=c:/foo
-sFOOBAR2="superfoo!") to the more novice people out there (like me
:(). The next confusion came at step 4. I am still unaware what this
actually does, as to whether or not it sets up Boost.Build or Boost
itself. The paragraphs around step 2 seem to say that the guide wil
take you through doing it w/ Boost.Build, yet the commands get run from
the boost-1.31.0 directory, which is, to say the least, confusing.

"The recommended way to build and install the Boost Libraries is to use
Boost.Build <http://boost.org/tools/build/v1/build_system.htm>, the
Boost Build system. The rest of these instructions explain that use" is
from the "Getting Started" page.
Yeah, that does seem to suggest that the Getting Started page will use
the Boost.Build method... Am I reading that wrong? (i ask that in all
sincerety)

I'm gonna prolly give it another go, cause my brain is fried right now
from writing a java program.

    Bryan Burroughs