From: Samuel (samuel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-08 13:43:32

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost-users_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2004 7:09 AM
Subject: [Boost-users] Re: bjam options

> They produce identical results for me.
> What command shell are you using?

This is for Windows; the command shell or command prompt or whatever that is
normal for Windows.

> This is not a function of the bjam executable, but the environment in
> which it is invoked. The command shell is supposed to strip the
> quotes when invoking the executable. If yours isn't doing that,
> it should be considered buggy. Try:
>
> bjam -f- "--help"
> ECHO $(ARGV) ;
>
> Note space before ';'. Enter an EOF in whatever way your environment
> spells it (^D on Unix, ^z on Windoze...)
> Post the output.

>bjam -f- "--help"
ECHO $(ARGV) ;
^Z
bjam -f- --help
don't know how to make all
...found 1 target...
...can't find 1 target...

I tried a quick test. In a C++ program I put:

int i;
for (i=0; i< argc; ++i)
    cout << i << ' ' << argv[i] << '\n';

Then I executed the program using the following as a command line:

"An option with spaces"

The output was:

1 An option with spaces

Yet if I execute bjam as in the following I get the results shown:

>bjam "--help"
Unable to load Boost.Build: could not find "boost-build.jam"
Attempted search from S:\Software\Boost\boost-jam-3.1.10-1-ntx86 up to the
root

Please consult the documentation at 'http://www.boost.org'.