From: Timothy Perrigo (tperrigo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-09 15:16:37

I'm just now treading into the (rather intimidating) waters of template
metaprogramming, so I'm not even sure if it will fit what I'm trying to
accomplish. I need to create a kind of registry to keep track of
instances of variables of different types (actually, several of these
registries, representing different system states); variables of a type
would be identified by an unique (integer) id. In other words, the
variables within a particular registry represent the state of the
system at a given point in time, so although each registry would have
variables of the same types and ids, the values of the variables in
different registries may be different. If the variables were all of
the same type, a simple map would work. What I would like is a way of
asking this registry for a variable of a specified type and id, and get
back the appropriate instance (of the appropriate type). I.e.,
something like the following would be ideal:

MyType mt = registry.get<MyType>(my_id);

Is there anything in the MPL (or elsewhere in Boost) that might help me
accomplish what I'm looking to do? If not, does anyone have any design
suggestions to accomplish this in another way? Any help would be
appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim