From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-04 21:56:29

David Abrahams wrote:
> "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>>On Friday 03 September 2004 12:06, David Abrahams wrote:
>>
>>When I ran `bjam install' files were copied to
>>
>>/usr/local/include/boost-1_31/ # an acceptable location
>>and
>>/usr/local/lib # something I would never knowingly choose as a
>>default
>
> Take it up with Rene. Rene?

To the rescue ;-)

Installing to /usr/local/lib was the most requested location by users.
The majority of users did *not* want to modify the standard search
location variables or call ldconfig (or whatever the equivalent is for
each platform).

As for knowing about that choice, it is mentioned in the documentation,
and in the inline help. Just as it is for "configure" style tools. You
could have done a: bjam --help, and seen:

C:\Boost\boost_1_31_0>bjam --help

Usage:
     bjam [options] [install|stage]

     * install Installs to the configured location(s).
     * stage Stages the build products only to common
stage location.

     --help This message.
     -sTOOLS=<toolsets> Indicates the tools to build with.

Locations:
     --prefix=PREFIX Install architecture independent files here.
                             Default; C:\Boost on Win32
                             Default; /usr/local on Unix. Linux, etc.
----------------------------[ and there you have the default and how to
change the default ;-) ]

>>Typically bootstraps are used in the gnu world as a means of
>>building the gcc compiler, or Emacs which needs to be able to
>>compile its own Lisp. They are not used after the first build, and
>>do not become part of the installed package.
>
> Bootstrap has a more general meaning.

Indeed it does... from Merriam-Webster:

Pronunciation: 'büt-"strap
Function: noun
1 plural : unaided efforts -- often used in the phrase by one's own
bootstraps
Function: adjective
1 : designed to function independently of outside direction : capable of
using one internal function or process to control another <a bootstrap
operation to load a computer>

Just because the bootstrap happens each time doesn't make it less of a
bootstrap :->

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything