From: Brian Braatz (brianb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-05 10:49:35

I am using vc7.1 MS Visual Studio 2003.

I have tried using the boost signals (boost/signal.hpp) library in both my application and a Visual Stuido project file using the signal_test.cpp file. (made a blank C++ win32 console app project file- and then added the include dir for boost- I did nothing else).

in either case I get:

Compiling...

signal_test.cpp

Linking...

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'libboost_signals-vc71-sgd-1_31.lib'

Build log was saved at file://c:\Rmtg\Root\_Common\_Lib\Boost\V_1_31\libs\signals\test\signal_test\signal_test\Debug\BuildLog.htm

signal_test - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped

My project file is quite bare other than pointing to boost as an include dir. I am perplexed on how visual studio is even AWARE of the lib name (since I did not tell it). On the machine I am using, I have not built boost static or dll libs. That would solve my problem, but not completely as what I *need* to do is use the hpp and *not* link to the lib.

My questions:

has anyone run into this before?

Is Boost::signals supposed to work by just being able to #include the hpp?

Any thoughts here? (one of those situations where I am really scratching my head).

**ANY** thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated