From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-15 11:08:28

cswiger <cswiger_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hello again - Here's details of what goes wrong while following the
> instructions to Build and Install boost on Solaris 8:
>
> 1) Download
> Got boost_1_31_0.tar

>From where? The only official Boost releases are available from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7586, and those
are all .tar.bz2 or .tar.gz files.

> boost-build-2.0-m9.1.tar

You don't need that.

> boost-jam-3.1.10.tar ok

You don't need that either since you're building yourself.

> 2) Preparation
> Build yourself or use prebuilt. A prebuilt for Solaris 8 is not
> obviously available, so
>
> Build yourself:
> tar -xf boost-jam-3.1.10.tar
> cd boost-jam-3.1.10
> sh ./build.sh
> gcc detected ok
> cd bin.solaris
> cp * /usr/local/bin
>
> completed ok, now bjam, jam, mkjambase and yyacc are in PATH

Only bjam needs to be in PATH.

> configure the tools
> many unix systems come preconfigured this way and require no
> user intervention.
>
> 3) Supported toolsets
> gcc
> g++ is in PATH
> might need to set -sGCC_STDLIB_DIRECTORY=/opt/csw/gcc3/lib
>
> 4) Build and install
>
> tar xf boost_1_31_0.tar
> cd boost_1_31_0

The current directory should now have at least the following
subdirectories:

     boost/
     libs/
     tools/

> bjam "-sTOOLS=gcc" install
>
> at this point the procedure fails and I get:
>
> Unable to load Boost.Build: could not find build system.
> /homes/chuck/src/boost_1_31_0/boost-build.jam attempted to load the build
> system by invoking
>
> 'boost-build tools/build/v1 ;'
>
> but we were unable to find "bootstrap.jam" in the specified directory
> or in BOOST_BUILD_PATH (searching
> /homes/chuck/src/boost_1_31_0/tools/build/v1,/usr/share/boost-build).

So is there a ./tools/build/v1/bootstrap.jam from the current
directory? If not, where does the path break?

> Please consult the documentation at 'http://www.boost.org'.
>

> Ok, so I go back and untar boost-build-2.0-m9.1.tar, cd into that where
> there IS a "bootstrap.jam" file and try bjam "-sTOOLS=gcc" install again,
> this time I get:

Now you're just flailing ;-). Don't mess with that archive.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting