From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-17 07:27:06

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:31:20 +0000, Foster, Gareth wrote
> You can make PDF documents in openoffice.org writer</shameless free-software
> plug>
>
> No, seriously, OO.o can import HTML, so you could save the pages
> locally, import them into one big OO.o doc (ironic short-hand for
> document), and then save that out as PDF, then share it of course so
> that nobody else has to spend 20 mins doing it.

I think it would take a bit more time than this. The date-time docs when
printed to pdf are ~270 pages by themselves. All of boost would be much more.
 No one has said this yet, but I'm thinking a boost-wide pdf is going to get
much too big. By library pdfs would be much more practical.

> Are there plans to get all of the boost projects using something like
> Doxygen? I think that can spit out more file formats than you could ever
> want.

Some library authors have been converting boostbook (xml based) which is a
variation of doc-book for C++ library documentation. There is a tool-chain
which optionally includes doxygen for generation of reference manuals and for
generation of pdf. This toolchain is currently somewhat complex and difficult
to get setup right. And recently pdf generation has been broken. You can
read more about this here:

http://www.boost.org/doc/html/boostbook.html

.recruiting pitch on
If you have skills in writing xml/xslt and want to contribute to boost this
would be a good way to get involved. Get subscribed to the boost-doc mailing
list and just ask for how you can help...
.recruiting pitch off

In 1.32 several libraries have switched, but I wouldn't expect all of boost to
switch over any time soon...

Jeff