From: Stephen Carson (StephenC_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-12-13 15:49:28

            We are having a problem that we have narrowed down to a
problem with boost::threads on dual processor Macs.

The very same software works fine, with boost::threads, on a single
processor Mac. It also works fine with native Mac threads on a dual
processor Mac. The crash is repeatable though, as threaded programs are
wont to do, it crashes in slightly different places each time. The
program does seem to crash during memory allocation.

            We have CodeWarrior 9 on its way to see if a compiler
upgrade might address the problem, (there are some known problems with
CodeWarrior 8 and threads, but only in debug builds. We see our crash in
release builds as well).

            Our questions for the boost crew:

-Are there any known issues with boost::threads and multi-processor
machines?

-Has boost::threads been tested on multi-processor machines? On
multi-processor Macs?

Details:

Compiler: CodeWarrior 8.3

Computer: Dual processor 1.8Ghz Macintosh G5

OS: MacOS X 10.3.6

Boost: v1.31

--
Stephen W. Carson, Software Engineer