From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-09 05:23:02

Noah Schwartz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Im running Gentoo over here and I installed boost from gentoo's
> portage tree. I then tried to compile a program that included
> boost/python.hpp. It completely failed:
>
> /usr/include/boost/python/detail/wrap_python.hpp:41:24: patchlevel.h: No
> such file or directory
> /usr/include/boost/python/detail/wrap_python.hpp:121:21: Python.h: No
> such file or directory

Did you read the docs? Especially
http://boost.org/libs/python/doc/tutorial/doc/html/python/hello.html, which
says

   We shall use the build tool that comes bundled with every boost
   distribution: bjam.
   Experience shows that 90% of the "I can't build Boost.Python" problems
   come from people who had to use a different tool.

;-) Maybe you can try with bjam?

> Looks like I don't have some local variables set to tell things im
> trying to build where to find these files. Im compiling this absurdly
> simple program (pretty much just an #include <boost/python.hpp> and a
> main that returns 0) using a Makefile. Do I need to export some paths?

You need to pass include path to Python to g++. This is something
like /usr/include/python2.3/

- Volodya