From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-08 15:39:11

"Thorsten Ottosen" <nesotto_at_[hidden]> writes:

> "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> | "Thorsten Ottosen" <nesotto_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> | > but we will have boost::end() and boost::mpl::end<>. Shouldn't that be
> enough?
> | >
> | > The problem before was unqualified calls to end() as I understood it. That
> | > will not
> | > be needed for ADL to kick in anymore.
> |
> | Weren't you going to have boost::end() find the user's end via ADL?
>
> no, I was going to find user's adl_end() function via ADL. So this changes the
> extension protocol
> to overloading adl_end() from overloading end().

So, how does that keep ADL from kicking in? It doesn't.
I guess the ugly adl_ prefix might protect you from most accidental
collisions, but I'd rather see something that couldn't end up being a
useful acronym in some other context

  http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Acronym=adl&Find=Find

adl_end seems very likely to collide.

acoustic-delay-line-ly y'rs,