From: Mark Holloway (Mark.Holloway_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-14 04:52:03

I know this has been discussed a fair bit but I'd just like to get
confirmation of what I believe to be the case re: boost::filesystem and
internationalization on windows.

I've been using boost::filesystem::directory_iterator to (amongst other
things) recurse across a directory hierarchy, and on each item asking
boost::filesystem::is_directory.

When a file or directory is encountered containing characters not
representable using the ANSI char set (alright the MS ANSI charset) an
exception is thrown. For example:

"boost::filesystem::is_directory: "Scratch561\ABCDE<internationized
chars>MNOP": The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is
incorrect."

This is presumably because the windows ANSI API calls are being used
(the
<API function>A variants).

Am I missing something, or is this a pretty severe limitation for
windows?
(I appreciate unix's don't suffer in this based on their api typically
using
UTF-8 encoding).

Thanks in advance for setting me straight/confirming my fears.
Mark