From: Keith MacDonald (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-21 04:56:54

I have just done a checkout boost from cvs.sourceforge.net and tried to
build with VC8 (cl version 14.0.40607.16) and Microsoft Platform SDK for
Windows XP SP2, using the following commands:

  tools\build\jam_src\build.bat
  tools\build\jam_src\bin.ntx86\bjam "-sTOOLS=vc-8_0"

This resulted in lots of these warnings:

  option 'Og' has been deprecated
  option 'Gs' has been deprecated
  ignoring unknown option '/MLd'
  ignoring unknown option '/ML'

I read that Jam V2 should fix those, but I cannot see how to build it.

More serious was the following compilation error:

  lexical_cast.hpp(150): error C2679: binary '>>' : no operator found which
takes a right-hand operand of type 'std::basic_string<_Elem,_Traits,_Ax>'

That file hasn't changed since last September, so am I wasting my time
trying to use VC8?

Thanks,
Keith MacDonald