From: Thorsten Froehlich (froetho_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-21 15:48:47

Kevin Wheatley wrote:
> I think this is intentional as the same occurs for all 3 platforms
> Threads supports (personally used on Win32 and Linux). I'd prefer to
> see the return codes from the various platforms turned into a platform
> independent error code but I'm not sure what the various possibilities
> are and if they are small enough to be usefully consolidatable into
> true platform indepenant codes. You can of cause compile in release
> mode with the assertions turned off, but its a pain when debugging.

Well, I would already be happy to not get an assertion on legal code. For
now I removed those assertions as they provide very little value at all.

> I tried asking about this on the developer list but I guess people are
> busy (isn't everybody :-) or ignoring me (paranoid!).

Good question, I have noticed that not a whole lot is happening with boost
threads lately, but plenty of features that were once announced never made
it. Not to mention the documentation seems to be free of any examples
whatsoever. It would be really great if someone with time could pick up
boost thread development and documentation again, it certainly is a valuable
part of boost that could use a lot more attention.

        Thorsten