From: Ben Hutchings (ben.hutchings_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-21 16:40:28

David Abrahams wrote:
> Daniel Goller <morfic_at_[hidden]> writes:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>i was wondering if there is a possibility boost (bjam?) will be
>>supporting parallel builds better in the future
>

> This really belongs on the Jamboost list:
> http://www.boost.org/more/mailing_lists.htm#jamboost. I'm not sure
> any of us knew there was a problem with parallel builds.
>

>>i was testing building with -j5 (-j5 is about the sweet spot at
>>which distcc creates enough load on the helping XP3200 for this mac
>>mini i work on)
>

> distcc? XP3200? mac mini?
>
> I probably don't really need to know what these mean, but I'm curious.
<snip>

Distcc is a distributed version of GCC: <http://distcc.samba.org/>.
Useful if you have a bunch of mostly idle computers hanging around, I
believe. "XP3200" is perhaps a very condensed version of "PC with an
Athlon XP 3200+ processor". "Mac mini" is a new product of, wossname,
that computer company named after some kind of fruit.

Ben.