From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-22 02:09:00

Daniel Goller wrote:

> i was wondering if there is a possibility boost (bjam?) will be
> supporting parallel builds better in the future, i was testing building
> with -j5 (-j5 is about the sweet spot at which distcc creates enough
> load on the helping XP3200 for this mac mini i work on) and boost was no
> longer able to successfully build, something it did before readding
> support for the user selected number of jobs.

The only problem *I* know about with -j is that it sometimes misses
dependencies on generated headers (with Boost.Build V2, V1 does not handle
generated headers well itself). But this should not affect Boost.

Can you specify exactly what kind of problems you get? Note that for distcc
to work reliably, you need to have exactly the same version of the compiler
on all hosts, and preferrably a stable version. I used to get segfaults
otherwise.

- Volodya