From: Jürgen Hunold (hunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-22 02:47:00

Hi !

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 08:09, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Daniel Goller wrote:
> > i was wondering if there is a possibility boost (bjam?) will be
> > supporting parallel builds better in the future, i was testing building
> > with -j5 (-j5 is about the sweet spot at which distcc creates enough
> > load on the helping XP3200 for this mac mini i work on) and boost was no
> > longer able to successfully build, something it did before readding
> > support for the user selected number of jobs.
>
> The only problem *I* know about with -j is that it sometimes misses
> dependencies on generated headers (with Boost.Build V2, V1 does not handle
> generated headers well itself). But this should not affect Boost.

Ah. This could possibly affect me ;-)

But I'm very happy with the current -j support. I normally do bjam --v2 -j18
using SuSE's icecream and our Linux compile farm.
See
http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=icecream
for more details on icecream ;-)

> Can you specify exactly what kind of problems you get? Note that for distcc
> to work reliably, you need to have exactly the same version of the compiler
> on all hosts, and preferrably a stable version. I used to get segfaults
> otherwise.

Icecream distributes the compiler binary and libs using a tar.bz2 archive.
This prevents these problems.

And I even do cross-compiles for AMD-64 using debian's gcc-3.4.4 ;-)

The only problem with -j18 is the link stage when linking static apps. It is,
let's say unfortunate to have all my apps linking at the same time...

But compiling works like a charm...

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold  ! Institut für Verkehrswesen, Eisenbahnbau
* voice: ++49 511 762-2529   ! und -betrieb, Universität Hannover