From: pps (i-love-spam_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-06 10:01:10

Micha Bieber wrote:
> Hi, group
>
> After some years staying away from boost, I installed the 1.32 release.
> The system was WinXP with VC6. I used the .exe variant. Take the
> following as remarks from an innocent, also if some of the issues seem
> to be trivial. Even though, I'm a C++ developer for more than 10 years
> now. I have used literally thousends of programs and libraries and I
> know, how quickly someone decides to skip the usage of software
> completely, simply because the installation becomes too strenous.

Probably you are not that experienced with c++, mayby c only?.. My
experience is about 2 years in programming and ~1y in c++ and I had 0
problems installing and using boost on winxp & freebsd. At least if you
that experienced you should know that there better versions of vc around
for years and it's probably time to check them - with vc6 many boost
libs don't compile (libs are ok, compiler can't handle them)

> The story:
>
> The exe is in fact an archive. This should be stated, because it
> suggests some form of installer.
>
> Starting with bjam "-sTOOLS=msvc" stage first of all I got without
> bigger (*) problems a bulk of
> single/multi-threaded/whatever_other_configured libraries. So my next
> wish was to reduce the diversity. I deleted the stage directory and went
> on..
> The doc states the usage of thread flags (-mt) but I was unable to set
> up a command line intuitively to build only multi-threaded release
> versions. One (!) example line should provide a recipe to solve this
> problem. I guess this is possible, after looking in Boost.Build.
> The next point is, I need in fact only the BGL. So I tried:

Looking inside my lib directory I don't see any libs/dlls for BGL.
Probably you can use it as-is without compilation as many other parts of
the boost lib.
Anyway EVERYTHING is explained really well for starters, just read the
manual

> v:\src\boost_1_32_0>bjam "-sTOOLS=msvc" --with-graph stage
> skipping Boost.Python library build due to missing or incorrect
> configuration
>
> couldn't find Python.h in "c:/tools/python/include"
>
> You can configure the location of your python installation by setting:
> PYTHON_ROOT - currently "c:/tools/python"
> PYTHON_VERSION - The 2-part python Major.Minor version number (e.g.
> "2.2", NOT "2.2.1") - currently "2.2"
>
> The following are automatically configured from PYTHON_ROOT if not
> otherwise set:
>
> PYTHON_LIB_PATH - path to Python library object; currently
> "c:/tools/python/libs"
> don't know how to make stage
> ...found 1 target...
> ...can't find 1 target...
>
> v:\src\boost_1_32_0>
>
> I dont't know, if the python configuration/message is really necessary.
> Maybe an existing python installation can be found (I have an
> ActivePython here).
> But the the last 3 lines are completely meaningless. What shall I do
> with it ? A command line error ? A problem with graph's dependencies ?
> Something else ?

You should read docs and it's enough to overcome this problem...

> msvc specific:
> The library as a heavily template-loaded piece of software should IMO
> suppress warning 4786 at least in their own implementation files. This
> makes it easier to spot errors during the installation run.
>
> Generally I lack information regarding dependencies for the single
> libraries. This should be part of the documentation (a must IMO, some
> accentuated doxygen graphs for the include hierarchy would be very
> helpful). Boost contains so many different things, and many people don't
> need all this stuff. It was absolutely no problem in the past, to
> install BGL (or its predecessor) by simply copying the header
> (neglecting for the moment the graphviz) interface.
> IMO, this should be possible further on, maybe some additional helper
> like iterator. But it should be documented ! Many people prefer
> lightwight libraries and it seems also current versions of boost _can_
> be configured this way (with som acceptable manual adjusting).
> So a bit emphasis on these things yet in the doumentations "Getting
> started" section at a would be a nice thing (tm) and raise the libraries
> acceptance for new users.
>

> (*)
> ...failed updating 24 targets...
> ...skipped 48 targets...
> ...updated 1051 targets...

Here's everything seems to be ok (if you use vc6 ;)
You could try vs 2003 or vc++ 2005.