From: Micha Bieber (onsager_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-06 11:01:24

Hallo pps,

p> Probably you are not that experienced with c++, mayby c only?.. My
p> experience is about 2 years in programming and ~1y in c++ and I had 0
p> problems installing and using boost on winxp & freebsd. At least if you
p> that experienced you should know that there better versions of vc around
p> for years and it's probably time to check them - with vc6 many boost
p> libs don't compile (libs are ok, compiler can't handle them)

[...]

p> Anyway EVERYTHING is explained really well for starters, just read the
p> manual

[...]

p> You should read docs and it's enough to overcome this problem...

I think, we talk about different things. I'm not to lazy to read the
docs, I'm also able to fiddle out the things in the end. It was in no my
intention to boast about my experience. I'm using all the other
compilers too etc., etc. The newest one isn't always the best for me.
VC6 is sufficient for many things. I'm not in need to use partial
template specialization for every project.

What I'm talking about, is the picture for someone completely new to the
library and the first impression he has. And here I miss some things.
RTFM is not the answer to all things, if I can make my manual better. A
library is for use. I'm completely aware of the fact, that boost isn't
finished. Laying all the development issues aside, there is also the
smootheness when dealing with other aspects e.g. installation.
BTW, its most of the time also a substantial hint to the inherent
structure of software, if it doesn't feel neat from outside. It's a
thing like the relationship between formulas and Paul Dirac. Personally
I find the spectrum for boost a bit too broad, and splitting a library,
new merging at a different level, splitting again etc. are completely
common stages in software development (see Qt for a current example).
I would like signalize this impression to someone, feeling responsible
for these things, because I come - almost - from the outside, regarding
boost, but surely not C++.
Developer notoriously ignore these things. I know it, I'm a developer.
But after some more years in the business, these things become more
valuable to you. Thats, what experience really provides you with .. ;-)

Micha